KENOSHA, Wis., October 19, 2017 -- Snap-on Incorporated (NYSE: SNA), a leading global innovator, manufacturer and marketer of tools, equipment, diagnostics, repair information and systems solutions for professional users performing critical tasks, today announced operating results for the third quarter of 2017.
- Net sales of $903.8 million increased $69.7 million, or 8.4%, from 2016 levels, reflecting a $19.5 million, or 2.3%, organic sales gain, $44.3 million of acquisition-related sales and $5.9 million of favorable foreign currency translation.
- Operating earnings before financial services of $153.1 million, or 16.9% of sales, included a pre-tax charge of $15.0 million related to a judgment in an employment-related litigation matter brought by an individual that is being appealed (“legal charge”), and compared to $157.6 million, or 18.9% of sales, last year. Excluding the legal charge, operating earnings before financial services, as adjusted, in 2017 was $168.1 million, or 18.6% of sales.
- Financial services revenue of $79.0 million increased $7.4 million from 2016 levels; financial services operating earnings of $56.0 million increased $5.4 million from $50.6 million last year.
- Consolidated operating earnings of $209.1 million, or 21.3% of revenues (net sales plus financial services revenue), compared to $208.2 million, or 23.0% of revenues, last year. Excluding the legal charge, consolidated operating earnings, as adjusted, in 2017 was $224.1 million, or 22.8% of revenues.
- The third quarter effective income tax rate of 30.1% in 2017 was reduced by 60 bps as a result of the legal charge. The third quarter effective income tax rate was 31.2% in 2016.
- Net earnings in the third quarter of 2017 were $133.4 million, or $2.29 per diluted share, compared to net earnings of $131.7 million, or $2.22 per diluted share a year ago. Excluding the legal charge, net earnings, as adjusted, of $142.7 million, in 2017 was $2.45 per diluted share.
Click here for the complete release and more Snap-on news.